Tuesday 30 August 2011

PeKay's Little Author

This presentation was actually the first time I had heard of this application. So in order to get familiarized, i decided to go ahead and try it myself. This app apparently originated from Japan, which i thought was really cool. It has some really cool features and the UI is really cute. Users can basically create little story books and share them across the board with other users of the application. Last I saw, the app has about 127 monthly users, which is not a lot but still significant. I was also amazed at the depth of implementation of the app. 

Initially I thought it would be a flash plugin, but actually it really is all HTML and javascript. That's pretty amazing to me, as the implementation is definitely not something trivial.

The presenting team did a wonderful job with the presentation. I found it really engaging and the layout of the slides were very attractive and really relates to the application. They also brought up a number of points which i agree with, one of which was the interactive UI of the application, particularly the drag and drop feature. This makes it really appealing for kids (thats what they usually like to do right?). In applications like this, I feel the UI can be considered more important than any functionality. There would hardly be a point in implementing many features if the targeted audience didn't know how to use em. And honestly, I have never really given much thoughts about UI until now so I guess I have a lot of catching up to do.

Another point that really got my attention during the presentation was that the app seems to behave like two different entities on Facebook and the iPad. I wasn't really sure what that meant as I don't have it on my iPad to try it out. My guess is that it is still under implementation and it's likely that users will then be able to view books created on their Facebook accounts on their iPads. This kind of situation, to me, is really confusing? lol. I feel that developers should have focussed on setting up the integration before launching or the effects might actually be detrimental. Just my 2c =/.

The group also pointed out the possibility of implementing more sophistication targeted at a wider age group. The purpose of the app seems to be for social networking and encouraging wider social interactions for children. Children can design personal story books to share with other children. For older users, perhaps the idea of sharing books could also be attractive. Currently, its possible to share photos, albums or events, so perhaps sharing a book should not be so surprising. In fact, it might even take social interaction to a whole new level. Imagine sharing your albums in the form of a book, dragging and dropping your pictures and putting text by the side. Books shared can also be about experience and expertise, anything. That would be cool to me. Though, I think youths in the age group of 13-18 would probably find DotA more engaging. 

So, my thoughts for this application - well it is targeted for kids, so it's really kinda hard for me to relate to it. I did manage to create one book though, and I found the process rather, hmm .. 'okay'. It wasn't that boring (which was what i expected, sorry). But I can see how an app like this would be appealing to children. Its pretty much human nature to want to share stuff, like to recommend a good experience, or to advice against bad ones. For children, this would be more apparent as they would have less tendency to wanna keep things secret? haha. Anyway, I'm guessing this is the direction that this particular app is heading. A medium thats dedicated for children to share.

But really, is this feasible? As pointed out in the presentation, the age limitation for users of Facebook seems to go against this very purpose. On top of that, very few kids around the intended age group would actually understand how to use the app properly. The UI is good, but is still not so trivial that a kid could use.

After really looking into this application, I have also come to realize that the market targeted at kids is actually quite remarkable. There are so many apps aimed at children (i mean in the case of the iPad) and some of them have really good responses. Parents nowadays might want to let their children become more tech savvy by exposing them to such applications on the iPad as early as possible. I've never seriously considered this area of the market, but now i know its definitely worth investing time in.

Just my 2c, and i sincerely apologize for any offense made.. ^^;




9 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review and comments. I just want to comment a few things on your post (I'm from the group who presented this app in case you don't know ^ ^):

    - "Initially I thought it would be a flash plugin, but actually it really is all HTML and javascript."

    Well it's really a flash plugin. You can view source code and see.

    - "The presenting team did a wonderful job with the presentation."

    Thank you :)

    - "Another point that really got my attention during the presentation was that the app seems to behave like two different entities on Facebook and the iPad. I wasn't really sure what that meant as I don't have it on my iPad to try it out. My guess is that it is still under implementation and it's likely that users will then be able to view books created on their Facebook accounts on their iPads."

    There are 2 versions of the app on Facebook and Ipad. They look quite different and there is currently no link between the 2. I agree with you that they should sync with each other. But currently the Facebook version is done with flash, which is not supported by Ipad.

    - "The group also pointed out the possibility of implementing more sophistication targeted at a wider age group."

    The Facebook app captures my attention more. I really like the idea of creating story books and share with friends. It could be a killer app if implemented more nicely. But unfortunately the company wants to target at kids, but Facebook age limit is 13. So I guess the Ipad app is their main focus now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey (: ! Yup I stand corrected. The part where to create a story book was indeed flash. I was looking at the wrong part lol (the list of storybooks part).

    And I see the constraint now as to why they did separate releases. Guess its double work for the developers then lol.

    Well the idea of sharing a book is actually not entirely novel. I'm sure there are even apps like that available right now, but probably haven't been exposed to enough people yet. I don't see why they would keep their focus on kids though, except probably if its only temporary.

    Anyway, Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why products originated from Japan must be cool leh... ...
    For PeKay's Little Author, I feel the idea of creating a book is quite good. When I was little I once had this dream to rewrite my story book(something about pigs and wolves). But my drawing was really bad and I dunt know how to draw other characters. Later I felt it's so hard and lost my interest. Kids now are so lucky cuz they got iPad! (Some got iPad2!)

    It's hard to make adult authors write and share their books on iPad. This app is wise cuz it focus on kids. Kids are creative and willing to create something by themselves. It helps build confidence I guess. But I don't think there's much point making it a facebook app cuz it may be hard for kids to use. Sharing is enough. It's also nice for parents to post on their wall saying that "This is done by my daughter".

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Though, I think youths in the age group of 13-18 would probably find DotA more engaging. "

    This is so true. To me, the app is not appealing to even my little nephew. It is really too complicated for little kids to comprehend. There is not much animation and interaction between the app and the kids. This is really important because the kids are not really looking for online social interaction at such a young age but rather a platform where there is entertainment such as tv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As suggested by Xiangxin, it was a great idea for kids. I agree with that as well. I think it is a fantastic idea to enhance the creativity of kids. However, it is also true as tey suggested that it is simply too complicated. Maybe, it would have been a lot better if the application have a less steep learning curve by providing multiple simpler versions of the original implementation initially. Maybe, slowly but surely, introduce them to the final outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reviewing the prezi :)

    I'm really happy to see that people are actually interested in educational apps. Afterall, Pekay's little author is really for education as compared to many of the apps listed in the educational genre. And PeKay's is one of those that is built to unleash children's creativity and imagination by letting them creating something from scratch (except the characters & items provided). I interacted with some kids before and it looks like they always have alot to tell their parents after a day at kindergarten! Be it complaining about other kids or how he/she was praised by teacher in school. All these can be made into an entirely new story and best if they can print it out and show their classmates or teachers the next day!

    Take a look at this happy little author : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-cFOH1tBEs&feature=player_embedded

    FB is more of for parents and teachers. That's our initial thought. However, since it is possible to fake age for FB, the Fb app should be made suitable for a wider age group, both the kids and adults. I thought the iPad UI was pretty cute, it would be good if both ipad and Fb app can be somehow integrated and make use of the same design!

    my 2c. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. After really looking into this application, I have also come to realize that the market targeted at kids is actually quite remarkable. There are so many apps aimed at children (i mean in the case of the iPad) and some of them have really good responses. Parents nowadays might want to let their children become more tech savvy by exposing them to such applications on the iPad as early as possible. I've never seriously considered this area of the market, but now i know its definitely worth investing time in.

    So what ideas do you have for this market now that you've had some time to think about it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, after the pitching session on friday, I wouldn't worry much about the ideas. There's probably thousands of wonderful apps out there for kids, but the ones that really make it aren't the best. It has to synergize with proper marketing strategies.
    A good app is nothing if nobody uses it =/

    That doesn't mean i'll be giving up on thinking of ideas but. Anyway i wasn't really a designer to begin with. I code (or at least i try to) and i try to get things done. That means back to my projectS. (with the S)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's not quite right. Ideas are important. At some point, you'd want to build something. It would be good if at that point, you have some 100 ideas in your head. This means that you can figure out which of the 99 ideas to drop and focus on the best one.

    ReplyDelete